Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Shoes That Are Sweet for Hot Feet

We all know that for practical bike riding, normal shoes are the rule, not the exception. No need to change into special cycling shoes for a short trip or commute. Until today I had not tried a very normal shoe for hot weather, the sandal. I have read about them for a while from cyclists who love them. Some ride them in hot and cold weather. It has been plenty hot the last few days here in SoCal, so this morning I put on some plain old sandals and rode in to work. They did great, and the feet stayed cool. Not sure how they would do on a long ride, but for the commute they were fine. After riding for a few years in clipless pedals with special shoes, I am finding that riding with regular pedals and regular shoes to be quite refreshing. I must admit that I got passed up by a racer type biker, but I think that was more to do with me riding an old Trek mountain bike-turned-commuter setup with a trunk rack and back pack. Anyways, speed ain't the concern when riding in to work!

No comments: